Q&A with Professor John Wass
We interviewed John Wass with questions from our members, click below to watch the video!
This video has subtitles, use the settings button (looks like a cog) to turn them on or off
This video includes the following questions:
- In the past 18 months I've had several stress fractures in my left foot and a broken left ankle. Is hydrocortisone thinning my bones?
- What are the long-term risks of radiation therapy?
- Can the dexamethasone suppression test definitively rule out Cushing’s if someone suppresses?
- What is the best way to test for cyclical Cushing's?
- What do I do if my endocrinologist won't listen to me and just discharges me?
- Can you get regular low but in range morning cortisol blood tests if you have cyclical Cushing's?
- Can a pituitary tumour change type or start secreting additional hormones, e.g. prolactinoma start to produce ACTH as well?
- Do you have a preferred point in the IGF1 range you like to achieve with your acromegaly patients? Some people say their Endos like them to be in the lower 1/3 of the range or in the middle of the range. If that's the case, how much of a difference would it make compared with just scraping into the range?
- Acromegaly patients often seem to report having ongoing symptoms (e.g. headache, fatigue) even when IGF1 and GH are controlled. Is this something you acknowledge, and if so, do we know why this might be?
- Should patients on sandostatin be shielding? Some have been told they should because it's an immunosuppressant, but others haven't.
- If we’ve shielded and not had Covid19, would you recommend being cautious for some further months to reduce our risk e.g. not travelling abroad to holiday?
- If we should get Covid would you recommend tripling our hydrocortisone dose?
- How do we change perceptions of the importance and seriousness of endocrinology within the general medical profession (and endocrinologists, when we finally get to them?); shouldn't there be a set protocol, which should be followed, in Endocrinology departments?